Contact Information:

Dean of Academic Life
Disabilities Services
Writing Program

FAQs | Muhlenberg College

Questions and Answers about:


  • What does Campus Safety do?
    Campus Safety is the focal point for providing a safe secure College community.  Campus Safety is like a small community police department; they operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and coordinate emergency response to any incidents on the campus. Officers are specially trained and patrol the campus by foot, on bicycle, and in vehicles. Students are encouraged to travel in groups; however, Campus Safety does provide an escort to and from academic and residential buildings in the evening. 
  • How do you provide building safety and security?
    All Residence Halls have key card access so that if a student looses his/her card, the College can quickly deactivate it and ensure that security is not jeopardized.  All Residence Halls and administrative buildings have fully operational sprinkler systems and hard-wired smoke detectors that ensure prompt alert of all residents for a timely evacuation.  In addition, some administrative and academic buildings have closed-circuit television cameras that assist in monitoring access to the buildings and responding to problem situations.
  • How do students or others contact Campus Safety?
    Students can contact Campus Safety by telephone, computer, or through personal contact.  In addition, there are numerous emergency phones at strategic locations around campus that are identified by yellow Call Boxes with blue lights; they allow an individual to alert Campus Safety of a problem situation.
  • What are your relationships with local law enforcement agencies?
    The College has a long standing and very effective relationship of collaboration with both Allentown Police Department and Allentown Fire Department.  We have worked with them on our crisis management plans and they have supported us on emergency situations and routinely assists us with support for major events.  In addition, two Allentown Police Department officers patrol with Campus Safety officers in the neighborhood during the weekends and high activity times.
  • What happens if a student gets in trouble?
    The College understands that young people, often away from home for the first time, experiment both in terms of their beliefs as well as their behaviors.  When serious incidents occur, Campus Safety normally conducts an investigation and the incident is adjudicated through the College Judicial System.  The sanctions normally include consequences that allow students to learn from his/her experience and change his/her behavior.  Selected students have a major role in the College Judicial System and help establish the standards for behavior on our campus.


  • When is Counseling Services open, what services are provided, and is there a cost for a counseling session?
    Counseling Services is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.  Appointments may be made by calling or by visiting Counseling Services.  There is no cost for counseling at Muhlenberg College.
  • Who may receive counseling and where is Counseling Services located?
    Counseling Services is located in the Life Sports Center, 2nd floor and offered to any full-time Muhlenberg College day student.
  • Why might a student come for counseling?
    The majority of students who attend counseling at Muhlenberg College seek help with normal developmental issues regarding relationships with peers, parents, or other adults.  Students who struggle with depression, anxiety, eating disorders and/or substance abuse also seek help through Counseling Services.
  • What are the most common problems dealt with?
    The most common problems dealt with at Counseling Services are interpersonal relationship issues and the normal developmental issues of leaving home, adjusting to college, and preparing to leave college.  Other issues frequently dealt with at Counseling Services include self-esteem, drug and alcohol use, anxiety, and depression.
  • Are student comments or records shared with Muhlenberg College staff?
    Students’ comments and records are confidential and are not shared with any non-counseling Muhlenberg College staff except in specific instances, including when the student is of danger to self or a danger to others, and when a student signs a written request that his/her records be shared verbally or in writing with other Muhlenberg College staff.
  • Will parents know if a student attends counseling?
    Parents are not informed if the student is attending counseling unless the student wishes them to be informed or if the student is considered to be a danger to self or others.
  • May a parent call Counseling Services?
    A parent may always call Counseling Services to report their concerns or provide further information regarding a student.  However, the counselor will not share counseling information or attendance at counseling sessions with a parent without the explicit permission of the student.


  • What chapters are present at Muhlenberg?
    The current fraternity & sorority community is comprised of five women’s fraternities and sororities and three men’s fraternities. All eight organizations are affiliated with a national or international headquarters. This is important as the local chapter is able to receive direction and support from the headquarters and members become part of a vast network of brothers or sisters across the country.

Women’s Fraternities

Men’s Fraternities

Alpha Chi Omega

Alpha Tau Omega

Delta Zeta Sorority

Delta Tau Delta

Phi Mu

Zeta Beta Tau

Phi Sigma Sigma


Theta Nu Xi

  • When can I join a fraternity or sorority?
    Interested students are eligible to become a part of the community at the start of their sophomore year. Transfer students are required to provide a copy of their other school transcript in order to prove eligibility. Because academics are highly valued by all chapters, students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 to participate in formal recruitment week. Individual chapters may have higher GPA requirements. Likewise, character and accountability are important qualities in members - individuals on disciplinary suspension are ineligible while students on probation must seek permission from the Inter-Fraternity Council or College Panhellenic Council to participate.
  • What financial obligations are there to membership?
    The financial obligation that accompanies membership differs among chapters. Each chapter is self-supporting and operates on the dues paid by its members. Dues cover items such as chapter supplies, social activities, insurance, composite pictures, new items for member use, leadership programs, philanthropy, and recruitment. Since some chapters operate their own residence, their dues structure may vary from a chapter that resides in college-owned housing. Fees range from a couple hundred to several hundred dollars a year. While scholarships do exist locally and nationally to subsidize some of the member dues, fulfilling the financial obligation is critical to the success of individual membership. Do not hesitate to ask direct questions about the cost of joining each of the organizations.
  • What is Recruitment Week?
    Recruitment Week is a one-week period in which the chapters host events to introduce eligible students to the fraternity/sorority community and the individual chapters. Eligible students have the opportunity to speak with chapter members, view chapter housing, and get a sense of the culture of each group. Participation in Recruitment Week is voluntary and does not obligate a student to join any of the chapters. At the end of the week, chapters issue formal invitations, called bids, to selected students.
  • What about hazing?
    The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the national headquarters of each chapter, and Muhlenberg College strictly forbid hazing activities. Allegations of hazing are dealt with swiftly and individuals or chapters found to be hazing suffer significant penalties. Hazing has no place in fraternal life. All members sign a statement obligating them to report hazing if they observe it or are subjected to it. Chapters are expected to continue to educate their members on what constitutes hazing and to develop programs that promote positive bonding experiences. It is important to note that, under Pennsylvania Law, no one can “consent” to be hazed. Students can report hazing anonymously, directly from the Fraternity and Sorority Life website.
  • What is alcohol consumption really like in a fraternity/sorority?
    All chapters are expected to uphold the laws of the Commonwealth and the City of Allentown as well as abide by College policies regarding alcohol. All chapters have implemented policies that strictly regulate alcohol distribution and consumption. For instance, the national organization for each of the women’s fraternities prohibits them from hosting or co-hosting open functions where alcohol is served. The penalties for violating these policies are strictly enforced by each chapter’s national headquarters and the College. This by no means should imply that the fraternity/sorority community doesn’t have a good time; it means that the chapters have become smarter in managing their risks by exercising greater responsibility.
  • Will being in a fraternity/sorority help or hinder my academic performance?
    While each student is ultimately responsible for his or her own academic success, fraternal organizations can assist in the academic growth of their members. Many members report that their grades improve after joining because they are forced to learn better time management, have a readily accessible group to study with or learn from and have access to chapter academic resources. Nationally, data indicates that students involved in fraternity/sorority life have a greater chance of graduating. Grade Reports can be found under the Accreditation section of the Fraternity and Sorority Life website.
  • What are the benefits of joining a Greek-letter organization?
    Simply put, there is an intangible, an essence, a vibe, a feeling, that runs through being a part of a Greek letter organization. I’m not talking about just wearing letters and hanging out with people you like. For those who embrace the ideals and values of chapter life and live them out every day, "being Greek" has deep, profound meaning. But what are these ideals and values? - Scholarship, Leadership, Service, Character, and Fraternity. When chapters put all the pieces together, fraternal life is a compelling and integral part of a student’s life both at college and beyond. Muhlenberg College is fortunate to have a small, personal fraternity/sorority community that makes the likelihood of this happening even greater. The benefits to you are friendships, challenges, and changes that will positively affect you for a lifetime.
  • Where can I get more information?
    To learn more about the fraternity/sorority community at Muhlenberg College, check out the Fraternity & Sorority website



  • What is June Advising?
    June Advising takes place during five days set aside for incoming first-year students and their families to get to know the Lehigh Valley, the Muhlenberg campus and faculty, and future classmates and friends. The day features opportunities to hear from various members of the community, discuss your class schedule with a faculty advisor, learn more about housing, dining and co-curricular opportunities. The day starts at 8:15 a.m. with the formal program concluding by 4:30 p.m.
  • Must I attend?  What if I cannot come on my appointed day?
    If possible, you must attend one of the five advising days. You will be assigned a day.  If attendance on your scheduled day is impossible, call the Dean's Office at 484-664-3130 to change your session to one of the other four days.  In rare circumstances, phone advising can be arranged.  Any student advised by phone will have additional responsibilities when s/he arrives in the fall.
  • Why must I attend?
    The exciting transition to college can bring some anxiety and involves lots of questions and concerns.  June Advising is an excellent opportunity for you and your family to become better acquainted with Muhlenberg, thereby answering many of your questions.  You will also begin to make lifelong friends.  Perhaps the most important task you will accomplish during June Advising is to meet with a faculty advisor to plan your fall schedule.  This is an all-important first step in your transition to College.
  • How do I know if I'm selecting the proper courses?
    Right now, you need only select courses that interest you.  When you come to June Advising, even if you are only slightly interested in a possible major, be sure to tell your advisor.  Certain programs (i.e. education, pre-health professions) require careful advising to assure proper scheduling for the first and subsequent semesters.  If no one subject area interests you more than another, think about taking a few of the General Academic Requirements.  Remember, a liberal arts education is often best approached with a desire for exploration.

    Do not worry about your placement in the proper level of courses.  In subjects other than mathematics and foreign language, you will be placed in the introductory level unless you are extremely proficient (advanced levels of History or English, for example, if you've done well on the A.P. or I.B. exams).

    The advisors use the results of your Mathematics and Foreign Language Placement Exams to help determine your appropriate levels in mathematics and foreign language. However, if you believe that the suggested level is inappropriate, express your concern to your advisor who may wish to discuss this with the appropriate department chair.

  • Will my June advisor be my permanent advisor?
    Although some June advisors also advise during the academic year, the most probable answer to this question is no.  When you arrive in the fall, you will have an advisor assigned according to your scheduled seminar, not according to who advised you in June.  The advisor assigned to your seminar will be your advisor until you declare your major.  Since you do not have to declare your major until your sophomore year, you may meet with this advisor to plan your schedule for up to three additional semesters.  If problems should arise any time prior to declaring a major, call the Dean of Academic Life, at 484-664-3130 to discuss the situation and possible solutions.
  • What if I took college courses while I was in high school?
    If you took college courses while attending high school, they may be able to count toward your Muhlenberg degree. To request a review, send the course description and an official academic transcript from the college or university to the Office of the Registrar, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew Street, Allentown, PA 18104, no later than August 1.  Be sure to tell your advisor during your advising session, as well, so that you can avoid courses you’ve already taken.
  • What if I am going to take college courses this summer?
    Some Muhlenberg students take college courses elsewhere the summer before their first year.  Courses taken elsewhere frequently can be transferred to Muhlenberg College.  Below is some important information to get you started.  Additional details and appropriate paperwork can be obtained at the Office of the Registrar on the ground floor of the Haas College Center. Before you begin taking a course elsewhere email or fax the course description(s) to Karen Schall, Assistant Registrar. After you complete the course, forward an official academic transcript to Muhlenberg.  Please direct academic transcripts to Muhlenberg College, Office of the Registrar, 2400 Chew Street, Allentown, PA  18104.


  • How and when are first year students assigned rooms?
    Rooms are assigned by lottery in July.
  • Where are first year students housed?
    First year men will live in Prosser Hall or Walz Hall.  First year women will live in Prosser Hall, Walz Hall or Brown Hall (which houses only women).
  • How are roommates determined?
    We utilize the information provided on the Online Housing Application for New Students to match roommates.  Also, if a student would like to room with a specific person, both need to request the other on the online form.
  • How and when are transfer students assigned rooms?
    Rooms are assigned on a rolling basis beginning in June.
  • Where are transfer students housed?
    All students could be assigned to Benfer Hall, East Hall, Martin Luther Hall, Taylor Hall, the Village, or spaces in the Muhlenberg Indpendent Living Experience (MILE) houses and apartments. Women could be assigned to Brown Hall (which houses only women).
  • What items should students bring?
    We've complied a list of suggested items to bring, items you should discuss sharing with your roommate, and some things to leave at home. ‌‌You can download a copy of the list here.
  • What technology and computer connections are available?
    Each room has wifi, a phone jack and ethernet computer connection for each student and one cable connection per room.  Each residence hall has a computer lab with computers and a printer.